- This event has passed.
Let’s Get Knotty: Beginning Knitting with Emerald Stitches
April 1 @ 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
An event every week that begins at 5:30 PM on Monday, repeating until April 15, 2019
In our 4-week workshop at The Forum you’ll learn the basics of knitting —cast on, knit, purl, and bind off. You’ll also learn how to read a pattern, how to select the correct yarn for a project and how to read yarn labels. These basic skills will give you the tools to knit a variety of projects.
Students must bring a pair of size 9 needles and 1 skein cotton yarn.
Week 1: Basics I
- Cast on, knit and purl
- Reading a pattern, part 1 (abbreviations)
- Types of yarn, choosing the right yarn for a project, understanding yarn labels
Week 2: Basics II
- Increase and Decrease
- Reading a patter, part 2 (symbols)
Week 3: Basics III
- Choose a pattern: dishcloth, scarf or shawl
- Begin working on your pattern
- We’ll build on the techniques learned in weeks 1 & 2 and learn how to correct mistakes
Week 4: Basics IV
- Continue working on your selected project
- Ask questions and get answers!